Monday, February 23, 2015

Authority

I believe the most applicable for not only our school but everywhere is the exhortation on authority. This is Romans 13:1-7. Before I get into how this applies to our school I want to explain this section first.

Romans 13:1-7 goes on to talk about how we should obey the authorities we have over us. One example given was the government. Yeah I know that might be a little difficult. But God wants us to obey our authorities that are in charge of us. And he wants us to obey the laws put in place.

This also needs to be used at school too. Our teachers deserve our respect and we need to respect their authority even if it means bad news bears for us. We need to show them we respect their authority by listening and paying attention during class that is my challenge to you.
The next place authority should be respected is the church. You need to respect your elders and decons and especially the pastor. Even if you feel the urge to fall asleep during church don’t do it. Or if a decon or elder makes up their mind on something you don’t like don’t throw a fit about it just talk to them.


These are my applications and challenges to ALL  of you.

1 comment:

  1. Well... I have to say... I heartily agree with your thoughts on teachers. :)

    But seriously, I think this is a good challenge. One thing I would like you to think about is the question of bad authority. The historical context of Paul's letter is important--he is writing while he is under the rule of a very corrupt emperor. This makes it hard to reconcile his positive description of authority--it is almost as if Paul has forgotten that this authority keeps throwing him in jail for preaching the gospel. I do not think Paul was blind to the fact that ruling authorities can be, and often are, corrupt. So what is he really saying in Romans 13?

    ReplyDelete